Online Slot Glossary Guide
November 10, 2020
Online slots have become a worldwide phenomenon and the growth in interest isn’t slowing any time soon.
Many have already mastered the art of playing these highly captivating games but if you’re not among them fear not, TopSpotCasinos has got you covered.
Take a look at this online slot glossary and learn all you need to know to become an instant online slot pro.
What Makes Online Slots Popular?
In the majority of online casinos, you will find that the game library is stocked primarily by slot games. The industry estimates over 80% of online casino revenue is derived from online slot games.
Loading any slot game will quickly show you why these games are considered the hottest source of entertainment right now. The combination of exquisite graphics, unique themes, brilliantly done animation and big win possibilities quickly sets them apart. They are also considered a lot easier to play than classic table games such as blackjack.
The possibilities with online slot games are endless giving software developers the chance to surprise players on the daily with new and exciting game releases. Slots can have different themes, bonus features, styles and add-ons. There are three basic slot categories known as Classic Slots, Video Slots and Progressive Jackpot Slots.
Before you can get fully immersed in the games you need to understand how they work and what the common terms and phrases mean. A basic slot machine, for example, has 3 reels, these are the ones that spin whenever you hit Spin or Bet.
If 3 matching symbols line up across the reels in one line you will get a win. The amount you win will be determined by the symbol that landed on the reels.
Essential Slot Terminology
- Coins – This is the cash you bet. You will get to choose the number of coins you stake on each line. Generally, slots give you the option to choose from 0.01 to up to 100. The more you stake, the more you will win.
Tip: More wins sound great but it is highly recommended to stick within your budget and never go over your bankroll limits.
- Reels – These are the columns on the screen on which all the symbols appear. The reels will move each time you click ‘Spin’, ‘Bet’ or ‘Max Bet’. All slots come with a minimum of 3 reels but the popular slot games have 5 or more reels.
- Symbols – These are the different images that appear on the reels throughout the gameplay. They are generally themed in modern games but classic games tend to have cherries, lemons, 7s and bar symbols. Each symbol has a value-added to it and getting three lined up creates a win.
- Paylines – This is the number of lines that are available within the slot game. Classic slots generally have 1 to 3 paylines but there are modern slots with 20 paylines or more. Some slot games give you the option to choose the amount you bet on by changing the number of paylines you want to play; others give you a set number of paylines to play.
Tip: It’s always better to play with all paylines active as it increases your chances of triggering wins or bonus features.
- Max Bet – Online slots will have a minimum and maximum amount you are allowed to bet. The maximum bet has increased in recent years and differs with each slot. Software providers have created slots that cater to the needs and betting requirements of all types of gamers. Thus, some slots have exceptionally high max bets and others extremely low.
- Line Bet – This is simply the number of coins you choose to bet on 1 single line.
- Paytable – The paytable is vital to your winnings when it comes to online slot games. Each slot game has an information section giving you access to the game information. Here you will find the paytable which is essentially a breakdown of the monetary value of each symbol on the reels and how to maximise your wins with each.
- Autoplay – Online slot games provide you with the option to hit the spin button manually each time or make use of Autoplay. This feature is a built-in setting where you can select 10 spins or more to take place automatically. That way you can enjoy the game and cash in on the wins while the spins are done automatically for you.
- Scatter – Nearly every video slot available today has a scatter symbol. These are special symbols that award bigger pay-outs than regular symbols and can trigger bonus features depending on the slot you are playing.
- Wild – Like the Scatter, the Wild Symbol is featured in nearly every online slot game. These have even become highly active symbols used in bonus features. Regular wild symbols can replace any other symbols on the reels apart from special symbols such as the scatter. Essentially a Wild is the joker of slot games and having one makes it possible to form a win.
- Expanding Wild – This wild symbol will expand to cover an entire reel which could easily lead to one or a couple of wins.
- Walking Wild – The wild will start from one position (reel 1) and ‘walk’ to the other side (reel 5). This will happen over several spins. So, if it starts on reel 1 it will be present for 5 spins giving you 5 opportunities to strike a wild win.
- Sticky Wild – This wild will remain in place for a set amount of time which can either be an entire free spin round or until you hit a win. Each game has different settings for their Sticky Wild symbols but the symbol itself will always remain in its current position until it’s time to leave the reels.
- Free Spins – This is a term you will not only know but soon come to love. Free spins are one of the special features online slots offer. The name sums it up as you will be awarded several spins that won’t deduct any funds from your bankroll. During these free spins, you could also get bigger wins as it often includes additional features or multipliers.
- Bonus Round – This is found in modern video slots. A bonus round is a mini-game that is themed around the slot and created to give additional winning opportunities. The bonus round can be anything including a pick me/click me game where you get to pick and reveal symbols for rewards.
- Multiplier – The multiplier is a term you will treasure as this gem brings the big wins. Multipliers aren’t available in all slot games so you will need to find online slots that do offer multipliers. There are also different numbers of multipliers and ways multipliers are applied in slot games today. Some slots instantly award a 2x your bet amount multiplier with certain symbols and others have an increasing multiplier that can go 10x or over. Most multipliers will start at 1x or 2x depending on the software provider.
- Progressive Jackpot – You might already know this term as everybody loves mega wins but we’ll give you the low down. This is the big bad wolf of jackpot prizes you can trigger at any online casino. Unlike set jackpots, the progressive jackpot continuously increases the prize pool each time anyone places a bet on the selected game. The more the game is played, the bigger the progressive prize pool becomes.
Tip: When it comes to progressive jackpot games, it’s always best to play all paylines and at max bet, if you hope to trigger the jackpot or jackpot game. Keep in mind the latter should be done responsibly and only if your bankroll (casino budget) allows for it.
- Random Number Generator – All slot games run through a Random Number Generator (RNG) which randomized the outcome of every spin. The games must be run through an RNG that is independently tested and audited to ensure the outcome is always random and fair. Games that are not provided by trusted software providers such as NetEnt, Microgaming, Yggdrasil Gaming or Betsoft that has audited RNG’s in place, should be avoided.
Start Playing Online Slots
You’ve done it! You completed your training and it’s finally time to start your online casino adventure.
First, you need to find a trusted online casino that will give you access to the best games from industry-leading software providers such as Microgaming, NetEnt and Quickspin. With the best software providers at the tips of your fingers, you will have endless variety with new games added to the mix monthly.