Online Craps Guide
December 16, 2019
We’ve all seen the movies and tv shows where the crowds are gathered around a busy Craps table, waiting for the lucky players to throw the dice as they all cheer.
The player in question will often ask a lovely lady to blow on the dice while he calls out his lucky number in hopes that it makes him a winner. Even if you’ve never stood at a Craps table yourself, you probably know of the game and maybe you’re even familiar with how it works.
But did you know that Craps can also be enjoyed at online casinos? Craps online is the perfect way to enjoy this popular game of chance from the comfort of your home!
History of Craps
The history of Craps can be dated all the way back to the Crusaders. Based on a dice game of chance by the name of Hazard, the game was invented by Sir William of Tyre, an English nobleman who spent his time with knights during the Crusade.
Hazard was played by the knights to pass the time when they were waiting to lay siege on a castle in 1125 AD. The castle was called Hazarth and that’s how Hazard got its name.
There are those who believe that Craps was created by soldiers in the Roman Empire who would shave pigs knuckles into cubes and roll them just as one does with the dice when playing Craps.
Craps, in its different forms, quickly became a popular form of gambling. It spread to the gambling houses of Europe in the late 1600’s where English noblemen and royalty were always ready to roll the dice.
Eventually the game moved to France and then to America. While some believe the game landed in America along with the Mayflower, there are others who believe that the game was part of the Cajuns’ culture – a French people who landed up in Louisiana.
No matter where the game originated or how it travelled across the world, there’s no denying that this seemingly simple game has captured the heart of many.
Great for playing at land-based casinos or even casually in your own home, Craps became extremely versatile and accessible once it was integrated into online casinos.
How to play online Craps
Online Craps is a fairly simple game. The main aim is to place your bet on the number you think will make you a winner and then to roll the dice.
While this is the basic premise of online Craps, there are many other rules to consider. We’ll cover the basics here to help you on your way.
When playing at a land-based casino, there are a number of roles that must be filled by different people in order to ensure that the game runs smoothly. Thankfully, things are a little simpler when playing online. It’s just you and the dealer.
If you’re playing at a live casino, you’ll have the chance to interact with the dealer and other players as you watch a live stream. You can also play regular online Craps for a more personal experience. However, Craps is a social game with multiple players betting on the Shooter (or the one rolling the dice) and cheering him or her on as the goes for gold.
To truly understand how online Craps works, you must under the different betting options.
Betting on Online Craps
As the game begins, a table will be laid out before you, filled with betting options. Depending on how you choose to bet, you will determine whether you walk away with a large win or something more moderate.
- Passline Bet – If you bet on the passline, you’re betting that the shooter will win. If the roll lands on 7 or 11, everyone who has bet on the passline wins! But if the roll adds up to 2, 3 or 12, all passline bets lose. The numbers 2, 3 and 12 are the craps numbers and you won’t find any joy when they show up on the Craps table. The other numbers on the table (4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10) can help make you a winner too. If the roll totals 5, the shooter must then roll a 5 again in order to result in a win. The shooter must then roll a 7 to complete the round.
- Don’t Pass Bet – If you place a Don’t Pass Bet, you’re betting against the shooter. If the dice total 2 or 3, you’ll be a winner! In the instance of the shooter being required to roll a 5 and then a 7, if the opposite occurs, you’ll be rewarded.
- Come Bet – You can make things for interesting for yourself by placing a Come Bet. When you do this, the next roll by the shooter that isn’t a 7 is then your Come Bet number. If the shooter manages to roll that first number before rolling a 7, you’ll win. What makes the Come Bet so great is that it stays in play until the shooter rolls a 7.
- Place Bet – All players are able to place bets on any number on the table by adding your chips to the Place Bet section of the Craps table. Let the dealer know which number you’d like to bet on and the game with then begin!
- Taking the Odds Bet – Considered to be one of the most important betting options, you can make use of this bet after you’ve already placed a Come Bet and/or Place Bet. With this bet, you’re simply betting on the odds of the shooter failing or succeeding.
Depending on the bet you place and the creator of the Online Craps game you’re playing, the house edge will be different. Be sure to read through the paytable for a clear understanding of the most lucrative way to play before dishing out any cash.
Visit any of our top online casinos and enjoy playing online Craps from the comfort of your home or while you’re on the go!